NSA on the hunt for extra help during show season
24th March 2017
The National Sheep Association (NSA) is inviting expressions of interest for a self-employed individual to carry out membership promotion activity.
As an organisation funded by its membership of sheep farmers, this is a very important area of work for us. We are looking for an individual to work alongside the NSA Membership Recruitment Officer to support activity and recruit new members at shows and events in 2017. It is a brilliant opportunity for someone to get hands-on experience in the events industry and be involved with NSA through the summer agricultural show season. We are looking for someone who is keen to travel and would enjoy speaking to and engaging with people, sometimes within a larger NSA team and occasionally working alone. The role would suit someone who has some sales experience and an interest in sheep farming / agriculture.
Specific responsibilities, on completion of basic NSA training
- Attending and representing NSA at shows and events – see below for potential dates.
- Transporting and erecting NSA show resources (gazebos, spider frames etc) where required.
- Actively recruiting new members by promoting benefits of NSA membership.
- Supporting membership retention by engaging with existing members and dealing with enquiries made at shows and events.
- Encouraging new and existing members to Gift Aid their membership subscription.
Suggested working relationship
- Self-employed individual to have a contract with NSA to cover a set amount of events at £80/day, plus mileage at 45p/mile and appropriate subsistence.
- Additional commission to be paid at an agreed amount per member signed up at an event.
- Additional fee to be discussed for events that involve an overnight stay.
Essential skills and knowledge
- Good oral communication skills combined with a welcoming and friendly manner.
- Willingness and confidence to approach people without prior introduction and sell membership subscriptions.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation, with the ability to work as part of a team or alone as required.
- Confidence to correctly collect people’s contact details and financial data, complete direct debit mandates and handle small amounts of cheques and cash.
- Full driving licence and own vehicle with capacity to transport NSA show resources.
- Reliable, good timekeeping, organisation and planning skills.
- Ability to erect promotional materials (such as gazebos and spider frames) and a keen eye for detail to ensure stands are visually appealing and in line with the NSA brand.
Preferred skills and knowledge
- Sales experience.
- Interest in sheep farming and a working knowledge of the industry.
- A towing licence may be of use but is not essential.
Potential shows and events in 2017: This is a provisional list; some dates may be added or removed but expressions of interest are encouraged from people who can attend the majority.
- NSA Welsh Sheep: Tuesday 16th May
- Beef Expo: Thursday 18th May
- Builth Spring Festival: Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st May
- NSA Highland Sheep: Wednesday 31st May
- NSA North Sheep: Wednesday 7th June
- NSA Sheep South West: Tuesday 20th June
- NSA Sheep Northern Ireland: Monday 3rd July
Interested? Please send an expression of interest by post to NSA, The Sheep Centre, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR13 6PH, or firstname.lastname@example.org by end of play on Monday 17th April 2017. An expression of interest should explain why you are interested in working with NSA and what you could offer, plus a recent CV. For more information please email Abi (as above) or call 01684 892661.