NSA Cymru/Wales Region Next Generation Shepherd Competition
Date: 15th August 2021
Location: Orseddwen, Selattyn, Oswestry, SY10 7HU
The competition is open to entries from young shepherds aged 26 years and under on 27th July 2022 and who live in Wales. There will be a prize of £50 for the highest placed 21 years and under on 27th July 2022.
Maximum number of finalists is 15.
Prize money will be provided as follows – 1st £275 + trophy, 2nd £150, 3rd £75, 4th £50 prize cards to 6th place. The winner and highest under 21 year old will represent NSA Cymru/Wales Region in the final of the Young Shepherd of the Year at NSA Sheep 2022 at Malvern, 27th July 2022, where the first prize is £1,000. Successful finalists have also gone on to represent the UK at the international shepherding finals in Paris!
FORMAT OF COMPETITION
All competitors will be expected to be able to carry out FIVE of the six tasks listed below
- Select Lambs for Slaughter
- Shear two sheep. Must have a BWMB Blue Seal Certificate, (the certificate to be produced on the day)
- Give examples of their ATV handling skills
- Give examples of correct foot care techniques / handling, vaccinating & dosing (e.g. work out correct weight of ewes for dosage of wormer and correct examples of injection sites)
- Answer questions on flock management and health issues (This task is compulsory for all)
- Ram MOT
RULES OF COMPETITION
1. Maximum age of 26 years on 27th July 2021
2. Entry is free
3. Closing date for entries is Friday 6th August 2021
4. A maximum of 15 entries can be accepted. They will be selected using the information you supply on your entry form.
5. The judges decision is final
6. The competition will start at 10.30 am and finish at 3pm pm
7. The highest placed Welsh based Young Shepherd and highest placed under 21 Welsh based shepherd will represent NSA Welsh Region at the UK finals to be held at NSA Sheep 2022 in Malvern in July. NSA Welsh Region will cover travel and accommodation costs.
Further information from Helen Roberts – Event Organiser [email protected] 0r 07976 803066
Entry form can be downloaded below.
Refreshments will be available.
The day will be comply with current Covid regulations.