Panel discussion: how to successfully manage sheep on herbal leys
Date: 22nd July 2021
Time: 7.00pm - 8.00pm
Location: Online - webinar
Maintaining species diversity in herbal leys grazed with sheep can be challenging. Join AHDB, NSA and British Grassland Society to hear our panel discuss optimising ewe and lamb performance whilst addressing this and some of the other management challenges involved to get the best outcomes.
The panel includes:
- Tommy Boland, Professor of Ruminant Nutrition and Sheep Production at University College Dublin
- James Small, farming 1,400 ewes and 120 sucklers in Somerset
- Angus MacKay, farming 1,400 ewes with weaned lambs grazing a lucerne, red clover and chicory mix
The webinar will cover:
- Latest research on grazing lambs on the leys
- Managing ewes and lambs
- Finishing lambs – do herbal leys affect lamb weights?
- Grazing strategies – can herbal leys reduce wormer use?
- Practical experience from our panel
If you can’t make it on the night, please still register, as it will be recorded and sent to you afterwards to watch in your own time.