NSA South East Region Field Day - Hampshire
Date: 15th June 2022
Location: Rothercombe Farm, Stroud, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 3PQ
NSA South East Region is looking forward to welcoming members, friends and neighbours to a series of interactive field days this June providing advice and plentiful opportunity for discussion about flock health and wellbeing.
Each Field Day event with the aid of major industry sponsors will address and demonstrate best practice concerning the issue of flock health and welfare from efficient stock handling and data collection to parasite management and disease prevention.
The second Field Day will take place at Rothercombe Farm, Petersfield, Hampshire, by kind permission of R.C. Snow & Son. Attendees will be able to view real time demonstrations with the farm’s flocks and take part in discussion on the most effective use of the sponsors’ respective equipment and products.
Thanks to Field day sponsors Bimeda, British Wool, Datamars Livestock, Elanco, MSD and Rappa.
You can claim 30 AMTRA CPD points and four RoSA points at this event.
Attendees to the event will have the chance of joining the following useful and interesting workshops:
1. “Systems for the safe and effective treatment of sheep scab”, led by David Mead, Bimeda UK
This session will include an update on sheep scab, diagnosis and current treatment options including a look at a modern mobile plunge dipping unit.
2. “Sheep handling and data collection systems", led by Mark Grant & John Frizzell, Rappa and Datamars Livestock
This session will include:
- The efficient safe handling of lambs and adult sheep to facilitate routine management tasks
- Sheep identification, and the collection and utilisation of metrics for the efficient treatment and management of all classes of sheep with particular reference to correct medicines usage.
3. “Blowfly control”, led by Matthew Colston BVM&S, Cert.SHP, MRCVS, Elanco
This session will include a general discussion on the importance of blowfly control methods and techniques followed by a demonstration of correct application techniques for ‘pour-ons’ highlighting common pitfalls that reduce efficacy and…. the importance of calibration and maintenance of applicators.
4. “Practical tips to get the most from sheep vaccination “ led by Kat Baxter-Smith BVetMed, CertAVP(EM), MRCVS, MSD
This session will include discussion of:
- correct handling, storage, cleaning and use of vaccination guns, particularly in the light of the discontinuation of the Sterimatic System.
- Correct vaccination positioning and technique to reduce the risk of adverse reactions.
- The best ways to handle, transport, store and administer vaccines.
- Which animals should and should not be vaccinated to ensure best value for investment.