NSA Sheep NI takes over Ballymena Market for successful Sheep Event.
2nd July 2013
The last weekend in June saw the busy livestock mart in Ballymena metamorphosed on the 1st July to become a National Sheep Association showcase sheep event, bursting with trade exhibits and sheep breeds with over 2,000 people attending.
The NSA Northern Ireland Region once again had favourable weather on their side, and the crowds were able to enjoy the day at both indoor and outdoor activities of huge interest – be it tasting chef Sean Owens’ delicious samples of lamb or participating in the topical and practical seminar, there was something for everyone on the day.
The sheepdog sale proved very popular with a steady trade for good farm dogs. The top price of £1,320 was achieved by E. McGarry of Loughgeil, sold to O. Loughran of Cookstown.
- Longwool: Freda Magill, Rathfriland (Wensleydale)
- Shortwool: Robert McCauley, Co Down (Galway)
- Coloured: Rodney Boyd, Garvagh (Blue Texel)
- Overall: Freda Magill
Ulster Bank Young Shepherd of the Year
- 1st: Jonathan McKelvey, Castlederg
- 2nd: Adam Crockett, Castlederg
- 3rd: Mark Hamilton, Castlederg
Trade Stand Judging – Indoor
- 1st: Scottish Sheep Strategy, Edinburgh
- 2nd: Easyrams, Pikesend Farm, Ellesmere, Shropshire
- 3rd: Dupre/Coloured Leicester Longwool, Ballynahinch, Co Down
Trade Stand Judging – Outdoor
- 1st: Quad X, Ahoghill, Ballymena
- 2nd: O’Donovan Engineering, Coachford, Co Cork
- 3rd: George Hamilton Machinery/David Ritchie Ltd, Randalstown
Trade Stand Judging – Breed Societies and Associations
- 1st: Dorset Horn and Poll Dorset
- 2nd: Lleyn
- 3rd: Wensleydale