NSA Next Generation Ambassadors
Applications to become an NSA Next Generation Ambassador have been invited each November since 2014 when the programme began. 2019 however, sees a break for one year from the ambassador programme whilst NSA Next Generation works on other exciting projects such as the Samuel Wharry Memorial award and the upcoming two day residential workshops, details of which will be announced very soon!
A vital part of NSA Next Generation is our Ambassador Group – a group of up to 12 people selected annually to take part in technical and personal development. Successful applicants are invited to partake in five delivery sessions spread through the year, and subsequently develop a longstanding relationship with NSA that sees them become active members in their region. With ambassadors selected from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the initiative provides the opportunity to meet likeminded people throughout the UK, as well as key people within the sheep sector.
The five delivery sessions provided for NSA Next Generation Ambassadors are a mix of classroom activities, practical sessions, farm walks and site visits. They challenge the group to think objectively about their own businesses and the wider farming industry. Each session is two or three days long and is provided at no charge to the successful applicants. Topics covered in previous years have included:-
- Grassland management, sheep nutrition and body condition scoring
- Performance recording and understanding EBVs
- Market intelligence, lamb marketing options and specifications
- Health planning
- Measuring and driving on-farm efficiency and profitability
- Accounts/financial management
- Managing grazing agreements, rental opportunities and tenancies
- Options for share farming agreements
- Anthelmintic resistance
- Sheep handling
- ATV driving and maintenance
- Branding and promotion
- Wool processing
- Time management, negotiation skills and leadership skills
- Promoting the industry and inspiring the next generation
- Media training
Being a NSA Next Generation Ambassador is about strengthening the sheep sector as a whole, as well as developing individual's skills, and so ambassadors are encouraged to also share their experiences with others – this may be joining an NSA regional committee, speaking at farmer meetings, taking on a role within the farming community or getting involved in organising an event.