Next Generation Area
You are invited to take part in the NSA Next Geneartion Competition at NSA North Sheep 2019.
The NSA North Sheep 2019 event is running a Next Generation Shepherd Competition at New Hall Farm, Rathmell, Settle, North Yorkshire on Wednesday 5th June 2019. We invite all young persons who reside in the northern region, aged up to 26 years of age on 28th July 2020 to enter. The winner will receive £300 plus the Ali Johnson Perpetual Trophy. You will also get the chance to represent the NSA Northern Region at the UK finals held at NSA Sheep, Malvern on 28th July 2020.
The competition is generously sponsored hence the prize money is as follows:
1st £300 + Ali Johnson Perpetual Trophy, 2nd £200, 3rd £100, 4th £50. 5th £30, 6th £20, 7th to 10th will receive £10.
FORMAT OF COMPETITION AT NSA NORTH SHEEP
All competitors will be expected to be able to carry out FIVE of the seven tasks listed below:
- Compete in the EBLEX lamb selection competition
- Carrs Billington Feed Identification
- Shear two sheep. (You must have a BWMB Blue Seal Certificate, the certificate to be produced on the day).
- ATV Handling, complete a set course
- Give examples of correct foot care techniques / handling, vaccinating & dosing (e.g. work out correct weight of ewes for dosage of wormer and correct examples of injection sites). (This task is compulsory for all).
- Answer questions on flock management and health issues (This task is compulsory for all).
- Stock Judging – Judge and place two pens of sheep in the correct order
- Maximum age of 26 years on 28th July 2020
- You must reside in the northern region (Cumbria, Northumberland, Co Durham, Lancashire, Isle of Man, North & West Yorkshire)
- Closing date for entry – Monday 6th May 2019
- A maximum number of 20 entries can be accepted. They will be selected using the information you supply on your entry form.
- The Judge’s decision is final
- The competition will start at 8.30am on 5th June
- The prize giving will take place at 4pm.
- The highest placed northern-based Young Shepherd will represent NSA Northern Region at the UK finals to be held at NSA Sheep 2020 in Malvern in July. NSA Northern Region will cover travel and accommodation costs.
- Prize money will be sent on as a cheque after the event.
See entry form [HERE]