Sheep Breeders Round Table 2017
The biennial Sheep Breeders Round Table was held on Friday 17th to Sunday 19th November 2017 at Eastwood Hall, Mansfield Road, Eastwood, Nottingham, NG16 3SS.
The theme for 2017 was Thinking positively, with a record number of attendeeds enjoying everything it had to offer over the three days.
Your can download presentations from the speakers below and, further below, posters submitted to the event.
The next Sheep Breeders Round Table dates will be announced in due course.
- Download a 2017 event programme here.
- Download Friday session 1: Signet Update - Sam Boon
- Download Friday session 2: Levy boards' plans for promoting sheep genetics - Katie Thorley (AHDB Beef & Lamb) Gwawr Parry (HCC) Emily Grant (QMS) and Agrisearch (Elizabeth Earle)
- Download Friday session 3: International sheep session, focus on Iceland - Eyjolfur Ingvi Bjarnason and Eybor Einarsson, sheep production consultants, Icelandic Agricultural Advisory Centre
- Download Saturday session 1: New carcase traits in genetic evaluations- Mike Coffey and Nicola Lambe, SRUC
- Download Saturday session 1: How to accelerate rate of gain - Noirin McHugh, Reseach Officer Beef and sheep genetics
- Download Saturday session 2: The potential of halal for the UK sheep industry - Rizvan Khalid, Senior Director, Euro Quality Lambs
- Download Saturday session 2: Genetic solutions to improve meat quality - Ed Smith, Texel Sheep Society and Neil Clelland, SRUC
- Download Saturday session 2: Why increased consumer awareness and understanding of the sheep industry is our marketing key - Rachel Lumley, Cumbria
- Download Saturday session 4: Genetic approaches to improving lamb survival - Mark Young, Centre for Innovation Excellence in Livestock
- Download Saturday session 4: Using genetics to improve performance on hill farms - Janet Roden, Independent geneticist, Aberystwyth
- Download Saturday session 4: Getting better at what is required - George Cullimore, Performance Recorded Lleyn Breeders and Dr Karen Fairlie-Clarke, Glasgow University
- Download Saturday session 4: Improving maternal traits in a terminal breed - Jo Connington, SRUC
- Download Sunday session 1: Effective methods of recording parentage in extensive systems - Huw Williams, Sheep Farmer
- Download Sunday session 1: Working alongside farmers to drive innovation - Aurelie Aubry, AFBI
- Download Sunday session 1: Thinking differently about how to collect health data - Jasmeet Kaler, Nottingham University and George Williamson, Dunbia
- Download Sunday session 2: Improving the welfare and longevity of rams in commercial sheep flocks - Kate Phillips, Independent Sheep Consultant
- Download Sunday session 2: How to maximise the potential of sheep production - Lesley Stubbings, Independent Sheep Consultant
- Download Poster: Production development of Icelandic lamb - The Icelandic Agricultural Advisory Centre and the Agricultural University of Iceland
- Download Poster: Sheep Farming in Iceland - The Icelandic Agricultural Advisory Centre and the Agricultural University of Iceland
- Download Poster: The Icelandic Sheep Recording System - The Icelandic Agricultural Advisory Centre and the Agricultural University of Iceland
- Download Poster: Genomics soon to be a reality for Irish Sheep Farmers - Ciara Long, Sheep Ireland
- Download Poster: Don’t count your eggs before they’re hatched - Jenni McIntyre, Glasgow University
- Download Poster: All eggs are equal, but some are more equal than others - Jenni McIntyre, Glasgow University
- Download Poster: Lamb birth weight, a new trait in the Norwegian Total Merit Index from 2017 - The Norwegian Association of Sheep and Goat Breeders,
- Download Poster: Curve linear weighting of litter size in the Norwegian Total Merit Index
- Download Poster: Serological diversity of Dichelobacter nodosus - Naomi Prosser, Warwick University
- Download Poster: Using central progeny test data to validate Irish genetic indexes - Shane Randles, Sheep Ireland
- Download Poster: Genetics of cobalt deficiency in sheep - Kevin Sinclair, Nottingham University
- Download Poster: Anatomy of the larynx in breeds of sheep more and less susceptible to laryngeal chondritis - Katie Waine, Nottingham University
- Download Poster: An investigation into factors affecting hoof shape, size and integrity in breeding rams - Caroline Best, Harper Adams University
- Download Taking a holistic approach to achieve sustainable sheep and goat production across Europe - Nicola Smith, iSAGE/NSA
- Download iSAGE, How is the National Sheep Association involved - Nicola Smith, iSAGE/NSA
- Download Poster: Development of a pen-side diagnostic test for liver fluke infection in cattle and sheep - Tessa Walsh, AHDB
- Download Poster: Quantification and causes of lamb losses in hill flocks: the case of the Scottish Highlands – black loss & bog asphodel - Sue Tongue, SRUC