Jobs & Work Experience Application
Please note - due to current Coronavirus restrictions and Government recommendations NSA is not able to provide the service to advertise for those seeking employment at the moment. If you are an NSA member who would like our help securing employment then please do contact us at [email protected]
To support the next generation of sheep farmers and allied industries, NSA offers a free-of-charge service for young people looking for a job, work experience or a college/university placement in the sheep sector. Please read the information below providing guidance on the service and contact us accordingly.
These services are only available for students with a full driving or tractor licence.
If you are an NSA member:
- Young people who are NSA members and searching for a full or part-time job or work experience* in the sheep sector are eligible to have an advert detailing their requirements included in the NSA Weekly Email Update, which is sent to all members every Friday. Adverts ask farmers to contact you if they have a vacancy available.
- NSA will only advertise job searches for members who have suitable experience; individuals who have not already spent time working on farms are recommended to build up their skills through local work experience placements and training first.
- In addition to the Weekly Email Update, advertisements will be placed on the ‘NSA – Positions wanted page’ on the NSA website.
- To submit your details please complete the online form below, ensuring your NSA membership number is provided in the comments.
If you are not an NSA member:
- Advertisements are also welcomed from students and young people looking for full or part-time job or work experience* who are not members of the NSA.
- Adverts will be placed on the ‘NSA – Positions wanted page’ where NSA members will be directed to search when looking to take on new employees.
- To receive the added benefit of inclusion in the NSA Weekly Email Update that is sent directly to members every Friday, membership of the NSA is required. To find details on NSA membership and the package of benefits it includes please visit www.nationalsheep.org.uk/membership.
- To submit your details please complete the online form below
* Young people looking for lambing work experience are encouraged to use the NSA Lambing List in the first instance. This provides details of NSA members looking for help at lambing time. If you have completed at least one lambing placement and are looking for an advanced work experience placement over a sustained period of time, a request can be made using the online form.
- College and university students looking for a placement/sandwich year (from nine to 18 months duration) can request that NSA includes their details on the NSA website or in the NSA Weekly Email Update as explained above. This service generally runs in the first four months of the calendar year, for students looking for a placement starting that summer/autumn.
Please take your time filling in an application, making sure that relevant information is provided that can be turned into an advert similar to the examples listed below.
Example 1: John Bloggs (20), an Agriculture and Business student at Harper Adams University, is looking for a 12-month placement on a sheep or sheep/beef farm. He would like a paid placement anywhere in the UK, starting in June, with accommodation provided if outside of Cumbria. John has worked on several large stock farms in the past and is confident with handling stock and machinery. He has a particular interest in breeding pedigree rams, but is looking for a placement on a commercial or pedigree sheep farm. John has a full driving licence, PA1 and PA2, ATV licence and chainsaw qualifications. He is also in the process of obtaining his trailer licence. To contact John please email *** or call ***.
Example 2: Jenny Smith (18) is looking for a full or part-time position working with sheep in Somerset or Wiltshire (with accommodation if outside of South Somerset). She has just finished her Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture at Plumpton College, has experience working with sheep, including indoor lambing, and holds her ATV, health and safety, first aid, PA1 and PA6 certificates, along with a full driving licence. Jenny can provide excellent references and can be contacted at [provide contact details].
Please note: Advertisements will automatically be removed from the NSA website after one month.