NSA Next Generation Shepherd of the Year
YOUNGSTERS INVITED TO TAKE PART IN NEXT GENERATION SHEPHERD OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
Youngsters up to the age of 26 with an interest in the sheep industry are invited to enter for this year’s NSA Next Generation Shepherd of the Year Competition, which has a total prize fund of £1015 up for grabs.
The competition will take place at NSA Highland Sheep 2019 at Sibmister Farm, Thurso, Caithness, on Wednesday, June 12. Participants will require to carry out five of six tasks – prime lamb selection, shearing two sheep, ATV handling, sheepdog handling, demonstrate knowledge of foot care techniques (compulsory) and answer questions on flock management and health (compulsory).
The competition is sponsored by the Texel Sheep Society and supported by the International Sheep Dog Society. The winner will receive a trophy and cash prize of £300 and will be given the opportunity of representing Scotland in the finals at the NSA Sheep Event at Malvern on, July 28, 2020. The highest placed competitor under the age of 21 will also receive a prize of £100.
The International Sheep Dog Society is supporting those entrants taking part in the sheep dog handling element of the competition, including a first prize of £100.
The competition is designed to test your practical skills and practical knowledge used in your every-day work with sheep, as well as your broader knowledge of the sheep industry throughout the UK and Europe.
Qualifying youngsters, who could be working shepherds, farm workers, students or simply with an interest in sheep, are invited to enter and test themselves against other youngsters with the same interests and motivation.
Format of Competition
All competitors will be expected to be able to carry out FIVE of the SIX tasks listed below-
- Prime Lamb Selection.
- Shear two sheep. (You must have a BWMB Blue Seal Certificate, the certificate to be produced on the day).
- ATV Handling, complete a set course
- Give examples of correct foot care techniques / handling, vaccinating & dosing. (e.g. work out correct weight of ewes for dosage of wormer and correct examples of injection sites). (This task is compulsory for all).
- Answer questions on flock management and health issues (This task is compulsory for all).
- Sheepdog Handling – A test at gathering, moving and penning sheep. (You must bring your own sheepdog).
Rules of the Competition
- Maximum age of 26 years on 28th July 2020.
- You must reside in Scotland.
- Closing date for entry – Friday 31st May 2019.
- A maximum number of 20 entries can be accepted. They will be selected using the information you supply on your entry form.
- The Judge’s decision is final.
- The competition will start at 8.30am on 12th June.
- The prize giving will take place at 3.45pm.
- The highest placed Young Shepherd will represent NSA Scotland at the UK finals to be held at NSA Sheep 2020 in Malvern on the 28th July 2020. NSA Scotland will cover travel and accommodation costs.
- Prize money will be paid in cash on the day of the event.
More detailed information is available on the schedule and entry forms, which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page or from -
Euan Emslie, Organiser, NSA Highlandsheep 2019
3 Briar Close, Newport, Brough, East Yorkshire, HU15 2QY
Mobile: 07718 908523
Email: [email protected]